Friday, February 17, 2017

Little Known Tales

In 2015 I had the chance to work on two volumes called "Tales of Tamriel" by Titan Books, from the series based on Bethesda's "The Elder Scrolls" videogames. (The Elder Scrolls Online, specifically)

I've been a fan of these games for a long time now and it seemed like a dream job. Thanks to some misalignment of schedules, I ended up doing a lot of the art in a fairly short amount of time. Nobody's fault really, sometimes both sides just end up waiting on something and the delay grows unexpectedly long.
I knew the final result was solid, but it wasn't my best work. I sent it off, because that's what you do. But if I could, I would've done a lot of it differently and better.

I filed the drawings in a "done" folder and happily forgot about them. Recently I found them again and they aren't as "awful" as I remembered. I still see what I could've done better, but I think I'm now ok with showing the better pieces online. ;)
Hey, it wasn't all I dreamed it could be, but I still got to work on on a TES-related job. That's pretty cool.

(I did more than these, and some of them weren't even used in the books, as I found out when my copies arrived. These are the ones I kind of like.)

















2 comments:

  1. Cool work Jan, really good one!
    The body armor I find a bit unusual, it appears to me some sort of a combination of a chest protection and a soft? protection for the belly, with the obliques having laminated armor extended down the sides of the hipbones? ? Must be a fantasy type of armor - :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Yeah, I was going from established designs where they existed. (only had the chance to invent a few that were known from "history" in the games, but never actually appeared visually)
      That's just how it's usually done with big name game stuff.

      Delete